Sunday, January 1, 2012

Serious Contenders: Joel Plaskett, "Through & Through & Through"



Good morning. It's 2012 and this is Sound of the Week.

Something I noticed when thinking back on my first year as a music-talking-blog-guy was the power music has to link us to a place and time. Back in November, I went and saw Joel Plaskett in Hamilton (a big deal, since I am a lazyass who doesn't get out much.) In Summer of 2009, just a few blocks across town from the venue, a friend of mine named Cary directed a play I wrote. It was an amazing experience, not just because it happened at all, but because the audiences really loved it.

To introduce the play, which was about waiting for someone to come back, Cary selected this song from Joel Plaskett's album Three. It was the first time I'd ever heard his music and I instantly decided I needed more of it. In those days I was a musical scavenger, mainly feeding off recommendations from my friends and whatever random bands I would hear about through various means.

At the concert, as soon as the opening chords of this song played, the room exploded. It seemed like everyone in the place felt the same things I did, even though that's not possible. I don't think I've ever talked to anyone about Plaskett who didn't cite this as one of their favourites. It's one of those songs where everything just fits together so perfectly that it can't help but reach people.

I got to meet Joel that night. I fanboyed out a bit and told him about the play, and he was very polite as I rambled. We took a very blurry, awful cell phone picture and I shuffled off on my awkward way. In any case, no matter how many times I go on to embarrass myself in front of a professional musician, I'll always have the music, and so will we all.

Keep on rockin'

No comments:

Post a Comment