Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Does It Rock? Jack White, "Love Interruption"



This afternoon at work, before I knew of this song's existence, I had a brief discussion with my Assistant Manager whether there were any true modern-day Guitar Heroes. I presented Jack White as a candidate. After a moment's thought he admitted, "He plays for the right reasons." Somehow that seemed to sum it all up. Whether you like him, hate him, used to like him but got over him, or feel indifferent, I think rock and roll is better for having Jack White around. His work with the White Stripes brought something new to the table with each outing, while always remaining faithful to the rootsy minimalist ethos, and each of his other projects manages to make a convincing case for itself by venturing a new territory -- if not different from everything else in the world, certainly different from other Jack White projects. He's done abrasive rock, tender acoustic, country, Scottish folk, psychedelia, and a James Bond theme.

After spending a few years focusing on the harder end of the spectrum, here he is with this strummy, campfire-like tune, just between singalong and pop ballad, backed by that keen electric piano and female vocal. It's pretty and simple and not showy, and after I've listened to it I want to hear it again. Whether it sounds like anything else he's done is not that important, and whether it sounds like anything else going today is completely irrelevant. It sounds like itself, and to me, it works. Glad to have you back, Jack.

No comments:

Post a Comment