Monday, January 16, 2012

Serious Contenders: The Coral, "Liezah"



When I was younger I was weird about music. I like to think I always had my tastes, but my selection was unrefined. It was completely random what I would find and get attached to, leading to a bunch of bands I found out about randomly and took as my own, while they escaped my friends' notice.

That's the case with The Coral. I remember brandishing their CDs in high school and everyone I knew would go "What does this sound like?" And I'd play it for them and they'd just look at me and go "Uh...? Kay." But hell, they're all into Fleet Foxes and Mumford & Sons now, so maybe they weren't ready.

Each album they released impressed me less and less (although Butterfly House was a real upturn) but those early albums had a real greatness to them that holds up for me. The first was trailblazingly odd, alive with fire and inspiration and confidence in its own uniqueness. Their second, which this comes from, was still quirky, but also loaded with straightforward and earnest moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment