Thursday, November 1, 2012

Does It Rock? Alex Clare, "Too Close"



I wouldn't say I am inherently biased against electronic music - house, dance, dubstep, whatever variation you like. I would definitely say it's a blindspot for me, like metal, modern punk or hiphop, and of the major genres. In these cases, I'm not a fan, and I don't know what it takes to be a fan, but it's not like I don't think it can be good. Overall, that's probably the main reason that I don't try to push farther in making this a career. Genre music has been a larger and larger part of music sales for the past few years, and I am not comfortable right now, maybe never will be, telling people why a new Deadmau5 or Skrillex CD is or isn't worth their time. My thoughts on the subject are just not relevant. By and large, this site serves people like me, who aren't devoted to a particular genre, but who aren't typically consumers of Top 40 music - your Adeles and Taylor Swifts. That doesn't mean we can't or don't like Deadmau5 or Adele, but that we're less likely to be deep in their waters.

Like I said, that doesn't mean I am against electronic music. It's rarely applied in music that I would like, and then sometimes it is and I find it impressive. This Alex Clare song, which is all over the radio and in TV ads, is that sort of case. The dubstep backing underlines the tension in Clare's voice as he negotiates a typical hard-love lyric. The combination of the two, I find pretty astounding, because this is the first time, to my (uneducated) ears, dubstep hasn't just been noise for noise sake, or something patched onto another song, but a genuine song that I, someone who's into music and songwriting and rocking out, can enjoy. This is a pop song with legs, a dance song with heart, something you can either move to or sit still and appreciate.

No comments:

Post a Comment