Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Tuesday Special: The Spoons, "Romantic Traffic"



I couldn't put my finger on where I had heard White Lies' album before until I started humming the chorus to this song, probably the best Canadian entry into the New Romantic movement, by virtue of being the only notable one. It's a bit poppier than White Lies, but the synth-guitar combo, along with the chant-along chorus and thin lyrical conceit about love and romance in a dreary urban setting, provides a basis for the type of sound White Lies emulates. The difference, I think, is that this is a bit more fun. Yes, it seems they mean it seriously from the verses, but the peppy "doot doot doot doot" chorus seems to be a nod and wink moment, which ties the thing up rather nicely. The video appears to have been shot on the TTC subway somewhere, which is a bit odd considering the lyrical concept is specifically about cars. Well, I guess they couldn't have shot the damn thing on the QEW.

Then again, if you see below, it's clear I have pinpointed White Lies' true inspiration...

No comments:

Post a Comment