Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Cover: Kings of Leon, "Dancing On My Own"



The King of Leon are not really on my radar. I say that because they are a band that people get really upset about, for whatever reason, I guess because they have a bunch of hits, and those hits I guess don't sound a lot like their early stuff, and yadda yadda you know that same old song and dance. I never found them offensive enough to get upset about, and wasn't wowed by them enough to defend them.

But this. This.

It's a known fact that I happen to think Robyn's "Dancing On My Own" is one of the great beautiful dance anthems of our time, and I was hitting that drum way back at the beginning of this blog, and this cover does exactly what a great cover ought to do and wrenches every essential bit of goodness out of that original, and then filters it through the new band. This is some amazing shit. I wish they had gone a bit bigger, (they are an arena rock band, after all) but it's still rad as all hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment