Thursday, February 9, 2012

Serious Contenders: Iron Maiden, "Number of the Beast"



I'm not much of a metalhead. I tend to focus my musical tastes on the middle part of the spectrum, because anything much heavier than what I listen to tends to be hard (for me) to critique. Doesn't make it bad, in fact good genre music is one of the best pleasures of today's market. The genres outside the "rock-pop" spectrum (Metal, punk, hip-hop and, yeah, country) all have their audiences with particular criteria for what's good.

I was watching Doctor Who the other night, an episode called "The Satan Pit," which featured the Doctor encountering a giant horned beast whose appearance I would describe as "metal as fuck." It got me thinking about this song, which nowadays sounds just like a regular fast hard rock song, given it's pretty early in the metal years. It does feature not only excellent guitars (it was one of my favourite songs to play in Guitar Hero) but also wicked metal screaming from Bruce "Not Christopher Walken" Dickinson. Still, metal as fuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment