Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Serious Contenders: Marcy Plaground, "Sex & Candy"

I love music, and I love thinking about music, but I'm not such a huge fan of ranking music. When you're thinking about making a list of great songs, you start with the obvious choices. "Satisfaction" here, "Like a Rolling Stone" there, "Respect" after that, "Hey Jude" in between... by the time you get to songs that are sort of outside the "canon" of great music that exists, there's no time to think about them.

My objective with this series is to take songs that are outside the spotlight, or in many cases just on the edge, and shine on them. Songs you know are great but never had a cause to think were "Serious Contenders" for such a list. Stay tuned.



I love this song very much. It's impossible not to bob your head along to. I think it's the closest anyone got to another "Come Together." There's no reason we should know exactly what "Disco lemonade" is, but for some reason the lyrics all just fucking work. Hell, the "serious contenders" series could just all come from the 90's, it was a real fertile time for awesome music that we're just now rediscovering and dusting off.

No comments:

Post a Comment