Monday, June 13, 2011

Talkin' Favourites

So, I have my favourite albums of all time lined up, and I thought I would throw the topic open, since I know there are people that read this, even if we don't always converse.

So Iwas wondering, dear readers, what are your favourite albums? Doesn't have to be five, it can be ten or two or 15 if you so determine that's how many favourites you have. What do they mean to you, why did you pick them up, how did they become your favourites, what makes an album worth favouriting?

Drop me a comment, tweet at me, shoot an e-mail my way. If I like what you say (and I probably will) I'll post some responses here, and we'll start dialoguing about it. I might even end up picking stuff up just on your recommendations.

Let's do this. I wanna hear it.

1 comment:

  1. In no order, I'm gonna blow your mind. Favorite albums:Mr. Bungle, Mr Bungle - Still disturbing after all these years. Sisters of Mercy, Floodland - Too polished to be truly Goth, and yet a wonderful piece of work. Pansy Division, Absurd Pop Song Romance - Would have been the pop-punk record of the '90's, except the gay thing scared many people away. Too bad, this would have been (should have been) huge. These Arms Are Snakes, Easter - Modern alienation with a surreal, noise rock sheen. Sleep Eyes of Death, Towards A Damaged Horizon - Ethereal synth music for the greatest space opera never made. Soul Coughing, Ruby Vroom - Yes, the beginning of the boho chic thing, but not their fault. Still an amazingly solid album. Tool, Aenima - Their attempt at a metal/art rock fusion was honestly a joy to behold. Black Moth Super Rainbow, Eating Us - Modern psychedelia that's like a pretty candy filled with liquid mercury. Murder City Devils, In Name and Blood - Tom Waits meets grunge in a seedy bar, over whiskey and smokes. Ladytron, Witching Hour - Glossy electro pop with an eerie glaze. Grizzly Bear, Yellow House - This is a walk in the snow on a winter afternoon. We Are Scientists, Brain Thrust Mastery - Shimmery alt pop at its finest. Sun Kil Moon, Tiny Cities - If this album doesn't relax you, nothing will. Deftones, Diamond Eyes - Some of their finest work. Really. Porcupine Tree, In Absentia - Strip the soul, kill them all indeed. Radiohead, OK Computer - I hesitated to add this one because everyone does. But it is an almost perfect album. Elvis Costello, My Aim Is True - Same for this album. Hold Steady, Separation Sunday - Boozy bar rock with a cynical undertone. Tragically Hip, Day For Night - More mellow bar rock, Canadian style.

    If I didn't sign this by name, Scott, you could have guessed it was me, couldn't you?

    ReplyDelete